Saturday, June 6, 2020

Several years ago I was fondly recalling the day Bob first told me he loved me—hands down, one of the happiest days of my life. 

Feeling a little nostalgic, I turned and asked Bob, “Hey, babe, if you could choose just one day to re-live, which day would you choose?”

He doesn't like questions like this. They make him skittish. I think he thinks I have a "right" answer in mind and if he comes up with the "wrong" one, I’ll be a beast about it.

But I persisted and he finally came up with a day he wanted to relive: Our wedding day. Which happened to be the wrong answer.  [reasons detailed in another part of my memoir]

“Is that really the day you’d want to live all over again?” I asked, clearly disappointed.

He said he only chose it because he would go back and change everything about it so it would be a wonderful memory for both of us.

I told him part of the “rules” of choosing, was that you couldn't change anything, you had to go back and relive it exactly as it was. I asked him to come up with another day. He wouldn’t. He didn’t want to risk coming up with another wrong answer.

“Well,” I huffed. “It only took me about two minutes to choose what day I’d like to live all over again. It was the day you told me you loved me.” 

“That's only because you’re better at remembering stuff. I knew I shouldn’t have tried to come up with a day. I knew I’d somehow pick the wrong one.”

I had to admit he had a point. He does have a terrible memory. And, of course, I would tuck his little admission of a terrible memory away--to pull out for future use.

                                                           * * * 

It was forty-two years ago. I was sixteen and I could hardly believe that Bob Staples was telling me he loved me, of all the girls who had a thing for him (and there were many), he loved me

It probably wasn't such a stellar day for him. His avowal of love was met with total silence on my part. Because I was an immature, nervous goof, I couldn't get a single word out. Finally, I just embarrassingly buried my face in his neck.

Months and months later, I finally mustered up the courage to tell him I loved him, too. (Even though I'd been hopelessly in love with him for years.)

                                                          * * *

The social anxiety I experienced as a teenager lasted well into my twenties. In fact, I still experience it today. But it was especially awful as a teenager.

If I had the attention of more than a few people, or was called on in class, my neck and chest would get blotchy, my face would turn beet red and my underarms would perspire so much I could feel the water dripping down my sides. Mercifully, body odor didn't accompany the copious sweating. I tried every antiperspirant on the market but nothing worked to turn off my underarm faucets. 

I used to cut washrags into little half moon shapes, safety pin them together and then pin them under the arms of all my shirts and sweaters.

The first Thanksgiving after Bob told me he loved me, he wanted me to spend Thanksgiving Day with his family. 

Bob, his mom and his cousin all celebrate their birthdays on Thanksgiving. Bob had bought a present for his mom and signed my name on the card, too.

After she opened it, she got up, walked over to Bob and thanked him with a kiss. When I realized she was going to come over and thank me with a kiss too, I got all flustered, silently telling myself, it’s gonna be okay, all you have to do is say you’re welcome, just say you’re welcome.

What came out of my mouth? “Buh-bye.”

The room erupted in laughter and I did my best to laugh with them. But tears of embarrassment threatened instead. 

“Awww,” Bob said after seeing my face. He pulled me against him and I half buried my face into his shoulder and managed to hold it together.

Yup, an anxiety ridden little goof.





No comments: