Tuesday, June 23, 2020

“However, I say to you, love your enemies and bless the one who curses you, do something wonderful for the one who hates you, and respond to the very ones who persecute you by praying for them...what reward do you deserve if you only love the lovable?” Matthew 5:44-46 (TPT)

All my life I’ve been told politics and religion are taboo subjects— because, heaven forbid, someone might get offended. As Christians we are commanded to spread the good news, not stay silent lest people find Jesus offensive. 

As citizens of the United States of America, we the people get to choose who leads our country and who enacts laws meant to keep us safe and preserve our freedoms. 

Maybe if civil dialogue about politics and religion hadn’t been verboten for so many years, it wouldn’t be as volatile as it is now. Regardless of our political disagreements, maybe we would treat each other with kindness rather than scorn.

After all, we do have a choice in the matter. We can choose not to be offended. We can choose to be open-minded. Maybe if we’re willing to listen, we’ll be enlightened, maybe we’ll see things differently. But not in this environment. Not when we’re shouting each other down.

My job as a flight attendant brings dozens of people into my life that I may only talk to one time. Most people are under the impression that we fly with the same people all the time. That surely we must know so and so because they also fly for Delta. There are some flight attendants who routinely fly together, but I'm not one of them. I fly a variety of trips--one day trips, two day trips, three day trips, International and Domestic trips. Because of this I may fly with a person once and then not see them again for another ten years or so - or maybe never again. I pray for boldness to share my faith, especially my story about Brett. I can usually sense if my opinions or convictions will result in vitriolic tension, and I speak and act accordingly. I certainly believe in the high calling to be a peace maker. 

Recently I had a political conversation with a flight attendant about an issue our country is deeply divided on—he is passionately for it and I am passionately against it. But I listened, and I gained a new perspective and I chose not to be offended.

It started with the question, “When did you find out your son was going to be born with severe disabilities?” 

“Almost from the moment I found out I was pregnant.”

“Then why did you still have him?”

“Because I don’t think it’s up to me to decide to stop a beating heart. I wouldn’t have been able to live with myself. Besides, doctors aren’t always right. Maybe God would perform a miracle—maybe he would be born perfect, in spite of their dire predictions."

“Did you really think they might be wrong?”

“No. Deep down I never did,” I admitted. “Some people told me that maybe I didn’t have enough faith.” 

“Did you ever think it might have been a selfish decision on your part? That just because you didn’t want to ‘live with’ it, that, after you’re gone, your other children and the rest of society will be left to take care of him?” 

I never had thought about it that way (not that it would have changed my mind), but he suggested it in the nicest possible way. His words were gentle. He wanted me to see how others might see it, to help me understand why they might choose differently. 

And honestly, it kind of knocked me off my high horse of moral superiority. I’m not qualified to judge others. Only God is. 

It also opened up the door to share my faith.

“I don’t think Brett is a mistake or just a sad story. I think he’s part of a bigger story that God is using for good. I know he’s changed our lives for good. And someday he’ll be perfect in heaven.” 

Did our conversation result in him becoming a Christian? No. Did he change my mind about abortion? No. I still think every life, regardless of how flawed they are, is sacred. And I believe it begins at conception. 

But we did manage to talk about politics and religion without turning it into a shouting match. We didn’t “un-friend” each other just because we don’t agree on politics or religion. 

I loved the book, “Un-off-end-able” by Brant Hanson. A line that really resonating with me stated, “Refusing to be offended by others is a powerful door-opener to actual relationships.” Amen to that.

Admittedly, becoming unoffendable is an ongoing struggle for me. But this book by Brant Hanson convinced me of our need to get there, that in fact, we can choose it, one day, one minute at a time.

No comments: