Friday, March 30, 2018

I am not a basketball fan (I couldn't name a single Piston's player if a gun was held to my head). But I have to admit, I have gotten into this whole March Madness thing.

A pastor was talking about his brackets, how his four year old son wanted to pick a team, too. His son picked the team he thought had a doggie as a mascot (Loyola), because he liked doggies. Who would ever guess the "doggie's" team would make it to the final four? As much as I like rooting for underdogs, especial one featuring a precious, old nun who's been a faithful fan for decades--"Go, Blue!"

I am a football fan, as frustrating as that is. An apt Lion's joke: Two avid Lion' fans were sent to hell, but they weren't miserable, and the devil wanted to know why.

"We're from Michigan, we like the heat." So the devil made it ten times hotter. They still enjoyed it, so the devil made it freezing cold instead.

When he went to check on the fans they were exuberant...chest bumping and running all over the place. The devil was stunned, "How can you be happy with everything freezing over?"

Their answer? "Hell froze over, which can only mean one thing...the Lions won the Super Bowl!"

I'm a Tiger's fan, too. My son tells me he thinks they'll be the worst team in the MLB this year. Ugh.

All kidding aside, the greatest victory of all time is celebrated on this day, Good Friday. I used to wonder why it's referred to as "good." What could possibly be good about the brutal crucifixion of Jesus?

The goodness is in Jesus' final words, "It is finished." (John 19:30) The three most powerful and freeing words ever spoken. My Bible says the word "finished" is the same as "paid in full."

"For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Hallelujah!



No comments: