Friday, December 29, 2017

My first memory of Bob was from fifth grade. I was going to Sunday school class with my cousin and she confided in me that she "liked" a boy, but if I ever told anyone she would never share a secret with me ever again. I promised I wouldn't, of course. When we got to the class, she discretely pointed Bob out and I told her I thought he looked like the Blue Eagle from Sesame Street--he had a really low hairline and thick black eye brows.

Several years later I decided he was the best looking guy on the planet. He became friends with my brother. If I had any inkling he might be stopping by, I’d race up to my room and make myself look as pretty as possible.

I’d sit in the same room with them until my brother would turn and ask, “Don’t you have anything better to do than sit there and stare at us?”

I was mortified, but he was right--.I was just sitting there and staring. I’ve always had a staring problem. But a lot of girls had a hard time not staring at Bob.

For some reason I'll never understand, a few short years later, he professed his love to me. Me! A staring, immature, insecure little monster.
  
I think we jumped into marriage before either of us was ready. I wasn't involved in any of the planning for the big day (other than my dress). I wasn't even aware of which songs were going to be sung. Looking back, it's hard to fathom, but it's true.

It wasn't until the night of the rehearsal that I recognized a song from Fiddler on the Roof. Eeek! I hated that movie, but the lyrics were oh-so appropriate. 

                                        Is this the little girl I carried?
                                        Is this the little boy at play?

                                       When did she get to be a beauty?
                                       When did he grow to be so tall?

                                      Wasn't it yesterday when they were small?
                                      I don't remember getting older, when did they?

The fact is, if I would have gotten a peek into some of the difficult days ahead of us, I probably would have bailed (and saved my parents a lot of shekels).

How fortunate God doesn't let us see into the future. Because if I had bailed I would have missed out on experiencing the miraculous ways God would heal our marriage, making us stronger and more dependent on Him than ever.

From the very beginning of my pregnancy, we knew Brett wasn’t “right.” Bob pleaded with me to follow the doctor's advice and terminate the pregnancy, but God intervened in a miraculous way and convinced Bob we were meant to have him. 

Now Bob views Brett as a gift from God, with a special purpose. He considers him the "glue" that held us together. He has never complained or resented the fact we will be tending to Brett's every need for the rest of our lives.

Today, I marvel at the selfless, loving man I married. I don’t doubt his devotion to me anymore. Though life isn’t always easy, he does everything he can to make my life as easy as possible

And, truth be told, since the day he told me he loved me, I’ve never been able to envision my life without him.

No comments: