Monday, December 25, 2017

If only I’d been born just one decade later I could have experienced the incredible technology of having (at my finger tips!!) not only a camera but also a way to take a video of each and every entertaining moment in Caitlin and Dane’s lives. I’d give almost anything to be able to sit and watch those unscripted, random scenes of hilarity and sweetness.

When Caitlin and Dane were little, the only way we had of recording anything was with a contraption not much smaller than those that television news crews lug around today. There was a lot in involved in putting it together—certainly not conducive to catching any spontaneous fun times.

I was totally incompetent with the thing. I never held it steady enough and I constantly forgot to push the "stop recording" button and thus we have literally hours of film of the pavement at Disney World. 

But one particular Christmas I was thankful for my ineptness, for forgetting to push the "stop recording" button…because it’s given me a lifetime of laughter...

All the presents had been opened and the clean-up had begun. No one had any idea the camcorder (that I’d carelessly placed on a chair) was still recording.

Only seven year old Caitlin is in “the shoot.” She’s kicking through the carnage of wrapping paper, tissue and boxes. She finally stops her search and, with a big, dramatic sigh, announces (to no one in particular), “Nope. No 'Free Willy.'”

We howled with laughter when we watched the inadvertent recording of Caitlin kicking her way through dozens of presents in search for the one thing she’d asked for but didn’t get.

The phrase became a standard joke between me and my mom. Heaven forbid I replied, “Nope,” to any question, because neither of us could help but follow it up with, “No 'Free Willy.'” 

I can relate to my seven year old Caitlin this year. In the face of all God has given me and in the wake of one of the most exciting years of my life (my first grandchild is due to arrive any moment), I’ve been kicking through the gifts, only focusing on the one gift that’s missing…the wondrous gift of my mother’s constant love and laughter. 

I’ve been convicted of the need to sit and savor the greatest gift of all…Jesus. Prince of peace, Lord of Lords! Love has come, hope is born! What an indescribable gift it is to know that nothing in all creation can surpass the glorious gift of His Son.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments: