Sunday, February 24, 2019

For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” Mark 8:36 (NKJV)


I saw a bumper sticker once that said, “He who dies with the most toys, wins.” How sad that a life can be summed up by how much “stuff” they leave behind when they die.

Several years ago a best selling book consisted entirely of a compilation of answers people gave to the following question: "How would you sum up your life in six words or less?" 

The columnist writing the review came up with his own six word summation: “Dad was Santa. Downhill from there.” 

I asked my husband, Bob, to sum up his life in six words or less. He thought about it briefly before answering, "Life is tough. Couldn't be happier." Awww, no wonder I’m so crazy about him.

The more I thought about Bob’s answer the more I realized how spot on he was. He gets it! Like the apostle Paul said in Phil. 4:11: "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

A Christian’s life isn’t defined by material success, but rather by how much we love God and love people. Since reading the article, six words or less summations from the Bible have jumped out at me. Inspired nuggets of wisdom that are meant to help us live a life full of contentment, meaning and purpose.

Just a small sampling include—“Godliness with contentment is great gain.” (1 Timothy 6:6) “Give thanks in all circumstances.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18). “Forgive others as Christ forgave you.” (Matthew 6:14) “Judge not, lest you be judged.“ (Matthew 7:1). “Set your mind on things above.” (Colossians 3:2) “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) “His mercies are new every morning.” (Lamentations 3:23) “You cannot serve God and money.” (Matthew 6:24) “With God, all things are possible.” (Mark 10:27) "Love covers a multitude of sins." (1 Peter 4:8)

A six word summation of today's generation might well be, "Let's entertain ourselves at all costs." What a stark contrast to the precepts the Bible has laid down for us! I want my own six word summation to be: “Living to please God, not people.” I want to strive to follow the Bible’s wise words and in doing so bring others to believe in Him and win the biggest jackpot of all—eternal life with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!


“Only one life, ‘twill soon be past; only what’s done for Christ will last.”

1 comment:

Tammy said...

This blog could be a sermon! His Word always nourishes our souls😊 my favorite is still.......there is help for the journey💓
You've always been that for me! I love you dearly!