Friday, October 26, 2018

Bob and I rarely go to the movies. Mostly because I’m the harshest movie critic I know and I hate wasting money only to be let down or brought down. I tried making a list of all the movies I truly loved and I could only come up with about fifteen. But on the rare occasion I do like the movie, it’s worth every penny to see it at the movie theatre.  

I’d heard great things about a recently released movie and I couldn’t wait to go see it.

I hated it. I was let down and brought down. Maybe I’m just a sucker for happy endings--or at least a few laughs.

One of my all time favorite movies, The Sound of Music,  came out when I was only three years old. My parents took all of us to see it. It’s one of my few vivid childhood memories. I’ve read that the more emotion that is attached to a memory, the more likely it is that you’ll remember it. Which might explain why I’m able to remember it so clearly.

I sat mesmerized through the whole movie. When it ended, I cried, and cried and cried.

Rather alarmed, my parents tried their best to comfort me, “Honey, what’s the matter? It’s all good. They got away. They live here in America now. There’s nothing to cry about.”

Nevertheless, I could not get a grip and sniveled all the way home.

When my dad used to fly cross country trips he always brought us home gifts. Unique, thoughtful gifts. When I learned to read, he brought me home several books about the Von Trapps, because he remembered how much their story and that movie had affected me.

I devoured those books. I have to admit, I almost wished they hadn’t included their photos, because not a one of them was blessed with movie star good looks and sadly, it made me love them a little less.

I’ve thought about what triggers the strongest emotional reactions in me and decided it’s the sound of music (ha-ha). On the rare occasions I get to hear my cousin play her violin, I can’t help but cry because It evokes such sweet memories of growing up in a wonderful family.


The movie reels of my family’s lives here on earth have hardly been a string of happily-ever-after stories. But our faith in Jesus promises our stories don't end here--the best is yet to come--the happiest of all happy endings awaits us in Heaven. Hallelujah! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love ❤️ all your shared memories! And your strong faith is a wonderful reflection of your magnificent parents! Love ❤️ you. Glady