Sunday, June 17, 2018

I once offered Caitlin and Dane ten dollars if they could name the nine characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit. They'd learned a little jingle about them at Bible camp. They sang the jingle. Didn't miss a one. Twenty bucks gone—just like that. 

I never learned the little jingle and still can't rattle them off like they can. Let’s see…”Love, joy, peace patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and…self control." One is escaping me. 

Upon looking it up, I realize it is kindness, possibly signifying it’s the one I lack the most. Maybe I thought goodness and kindness were basically the same. But I think kindness requires action. Kindness is proactive, it looks for ways to ease burdens, to encourage, to defend, to provide.

My Bob has kindness in spades. The first time I witnessed his kind heart was at youth group in junior high, an age where being popular is the end all and be all. An age where kids can be brutal (even "church" kids). Sadly, there's usually at least one kid that's an easy target, and it's usually a witty, popular kid who hits that target. They hit it so perfectly most find it hard not to snicker. It takes a certain amount of courage to step up and defend him. But Bob did and who knows the difference he may have made in that lonely kid's life?

Bob’s eyes are always open to see where a little kindness will make a difference. He’s constantly affirming, giving, calling or praying for those in need.

Seeing people being unkind to others sucks the life right out of us. It’s awful. 

Bob often says how thankful he is that we never have to worry about anyone hurting Brett's feelings. When our kids are hurting, Bob can hardly stand it, so having to watch people make fun of Brett and hurting his feelings would be unbearable…but thankfully, Brett is blissfully unaware.

Thinking of Bob this Father’s Day, I’m especially thankful for his boundless kindness. He’s simply the best! 


Happy Father’s Day!

No comments: