Friday, January 26, 2018

I’ve experienced many unanswered prayers throughout my life, or rather prayers that weren’t answered the way I wanted them to be answered. Today I needed to remind myself of God’s faithfulness. I can recall so many times He’s shown me His mercy and grace. 

A few answers to prayers were particularly stunning. For the sake of space, I’ll only recount a few here.

When Dane was just an infant, Bob took a job running the Karaoke at the bar across the street from his work. Sometimes he wouldn’t get home until three in the morning. It was taking a toll on our marriage. When I went up to watch him I was shocked to learn he’d even acquired groupies! No wonder he wasn’t inclined to give it up. Rather than rant and rave about it (my usual modus operandi), I decided to pray about it. I kid you not, the very next day the place burned to the ground and was never rebuilt. Talk about being gobsmacked!

Another time, I was taking my cousin Cassie on a buddy pass to attend my grandmother’s funeral in Florida. Even though Cassie had been married for years, I’d used her maiden name on her reservation. I didn’t realize what I’d done until the TSA agent asked her why the name on her boarding pass didn’t match the name on her driver’s license. She sweetly replied that she’d gotten married. This was post 9/11, my ditzy mistake could have nixed our plans right there and then, but we were allowed to proceed to the gate without even any additional screening.

There were several empty seats on the flight when I checked, but I hadn’t counted on over thirty standby passengers. I was at the top of the list, so I knew I was going to get a seat, but Cassie was at the bottom, there was no way she was getting a seat. I walked over to give her the bad news. 

Before I could speak, she said she’d been sitting there praying and had complete peace about it, everything was going to work out and…

“Is there someone who can come get you?” I rudely interrupted, blithely waving away any possibility of Divine intervention.

Before she could answer, the gate agent called her name and gave her a boarding pass. I was stunned! Ashamed of myself for doubting the power of prayer and in awe of God’s goodness.

How do the words, “all I can do is pray about it” ever come out of my mouth??? The Creator of the universe asks us to call Him Father and encourages us to pour out our requests to Him. It’s not all I can do, it is the most I can do.

When a child asks for a piece of bread, does a good father give him a rock instead? How much more will our Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him? (Matthew 7:9-11)


“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4:6

No comments: