Sunday, April 10, 2016

I was recently reading the verse, "If Christ is for us, who can be against us?" and it made me think about what it means to be "for" someone. It was opening day so my first thought was that I am "for" the Detroit Tigers.

I'm a huge fan. I always look forward to the start of a new season and sad when it ends. Admittedly, I found last season to be a bit frustrating because the following scenario played out way too often: The starting pitcher and hot bats give the Tigers a wide lead. The reliever comes in in the eighth inning and mows down three batters, often throwing less than a dozen pitches. He's hot, in his groove. No matter, he gets pulled for the ninth and they bring in the closer. The players are out on the field on the cusp of a big win but instead watch dejectedly as ball after ball sails out of the park. And they lose. Ugh.

I was thinking how different I'd feel if I knew with certainty the Tigers were going to win the World Series. I would relax and enjoy the game more. I would show a little more grace for errors, bad calls, dopey coaching decisions and even closers who give up one dinger after another. Because I'd know in the end they are going to be the champions.

As Christians, we know the outcome. Christ won the victory. He is "for" us. No one can win against us. And our "win" is infinitely better than winning a World Series. Talk about a celebration!

Knowing the final chapter helps me deal with crushing disappointments, injustices, dopey decisions and devastating losses. I can extend a little more grace and experience less anxiety because I know Christ is preparing a place for me that "no eye has seen nor mind imagined," where there will be "no more mourning and no more tears," and the loved ones I've lost will be there to welcome me Home. Hallelujah!

1 comment:

Ellie Fogelberg said...

Thank you for this Laurie! My only complaint is that your posts are not more often...love them, and you!