Friday, November 21, 2014

For me, there's nothing quite as satisfying as a fountain Diet Coke from McDonalds. And who can pass up one dollar for any size drink? I feel like I'm getting it for free if I manage to cobble together enough loose change from the floor, ash tray and cup holder to pay for it.

The other day I went to a McDonalds that had two ordering lanes that merge together. I'm always amazed they don't get the orders confused. That day, a guy insisted on merging in front of me even though I knew I was ahead of him.  You Bozo! You're going to mess up their system! Sure enough, they didn't have my order right.

"I only ordered a large Diet Coke," I patiently corrected.

"Hmmm. I don't see it on the screen. Did you order it at the speaker?"

"Uh..." I had to think about it. "No. I'm sorry! I forgot that part." How embarrassing! was the one messing up their system.

"Not a problem," the girl smiled. But it was a wee bit of a problem because she had to walk away from the pay window to explain it to the delivery window.

Now I was doubly embarrassed to dump my warm, sticky handful of pennies, nickels and dimes into her hand.

Still, she was gracious. Never stopped smiling. The delivery girl was just as pleasant. Even my, "It is diet, right??" didn't faze her. Nothing aggravates me more than taking that first sip and discovering it's regular. Ugh! I never have time to whirl back around. What I'm tempted to do is spike it into the ground.

Their kindness and patience touched me. It was only later that I thought they probably felt sorry for me.

It made me feel guilty about my own lack of patience. I can barely be civil to passengers who ask what we have.

I answer with a big sigh, "SodasJuicesCoffeeTeaBeerWine and Cocktails." Without a smile. To be honest, I often leave off the "tea" option because it requires retrieving from the galley.

Heaven forbid they ask what kind of soda/juice/cocktails.

I resolved to start answering that question graciously, with a big smile. I think I can do it--as long as it's only one passenger a day--after all, I'm pretty sure I was the ONLY customer that day who zoomed up to the pay window without ordering first.

1 comment:

Joy! said...

Too funny! You and I are twins; about the only thing I order from McD's is a Large Diet, light ice. It is such a treat for me too. All that yumminess for $1.00. Love you my funny friend!