Monday, November 25, 2013

I remember when they told us Brett would probably not respond to us in anyway. I wanted to ask (but mercifully didn't), you mean he'll be a vegetable? As a child, I thought the designation came purely from its shared properties with an inanimate object. Like a giant carrot, a carrot that needed to be fed and changed. I can remember stories of horrific accidents and hearing conversations,  "...and now the poor thing is nothing but a vegetable. I bet his parents never thought they'd be changing diapers the rest of their lives." Yes, I'm sure that was a safe bet.

Today is Brett's eleventh birthday. I hate to admit it, but his birthdays always overwhelm me with sadness. I mourn for a normal little boy's birthday celebration. I mourn the fact that another year has not brought any change, other than that he's bigger.

This past week I attended a funeral of a boy that was the same age as Dane. It was heart-wrenching, unbearable. I wouldn't want to compare their mourning with what I feel for Brett, but some of the same truths I use to encourage myself are true for them as well.

Their son is no longer tormented; Brett is content and he'll never be affected by the evilness of this world. Their son's feelings will never be hurt again; Brett's feelings will never be hurt. Their son will never make another bad decision; Brett isn't capable of making a bad decision. They no longer have to worry about their son's safety or wonder where he is; we always know where Brett is.

 I know God is good. I know He assured us that "all things will work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose."  I believe that God is bringing about more good through Brett being the way he is than if he were perfect.

And their son? What if just one person joined the ranks of Heaven because of the words that were shared at his funeral?  This life is, after all, just a blip compared to eternity. Their lives will never be the same, a day won't go by that they won't miss their sweet baby boy (my mom can attest to that).

His father shared words I will never forget; his son had spent the last few years of his life doubting God's goodness...but that he sure wasn't doubting it now. I love that, because ultimately, that's the most comforting truth of all: God IS good, even when we can't see the good, He IS good, and without a doubt, their beloved son is now basking in God's goodness.

1 comment:

Jill Serbay said...

This is beautiful! You are a blessing Laurie!