Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Do you ever have days where you're just not "feeling the love"? I confess I have more of those days than I care to admit.

Those days where the slightest traffic delay or people taking a little too long to answer my questions get on my last nerve. Despite my impatience on the road, I've shown remarkable restraint with my car horn, I can count on two hands how many times I've actually used it (possibly because a friend's accidental beep once caused a skittish Japanese lady to dart out into traffic and almost cause a horrific accident).

But, I kid you not, those few times that I did blow my horn I've ended up feeling like a total loser. One time I couldn't see why traffic had come to a stop and blew my horn in frustration. As I got closer, I realized everyone had stopped because a mother duck was leisurely waddling across the street with what seemed like 30 ducklings behind her.

Another time I was irritated that the cars in front of me weren't turning right on red. Don't those morons realize they can turn right on red? As I got closer, I saw a little old woman painstakingly crossing the street with two grocery bags hanging from her walker. Talk about wanting to slink behind the wheel and disappear!

Another time, cars were driving ever so slowly by what looked like a dead animal in the road. What's wrong with these people? Is this the first time they've ever seen such a thing? As I passed slowly by, I saw that there was a dead duck lying in the street but its live mate was sitting beside it. I know ducks mate for life so that sad little image haunted me for weeks.

At work, one of my biggest pet peeves is passengers not removing their headsets when I get to their row. Practice your lip reading on your own time, buddy! When they do take them off they wonder what I said. Are you kidding me?? What do you think I'm asking you...if you've heard a good joke lately? The really aggravating ones tell me what they want to drink, put their headsets right back on and then we go through the whole rigmarol again to find out if they want peanuts, pretzels or cookies. Come on people, it's not like you've never seen this routine before.

I actually considered doing a weekly blog featuring those I deem to be the jerk of the week. There would be so many contenders! Something small, like telling me to smile, could rocket them to the top of my list.

Fortunately I decided focusing on the negative wouldn't be as healthy as focusing on the positive. I've been humbled too many times in my impatience and irritation by the genuine goodness of people, the grateful and happy ones that often don't appear to have anything to be happy about.

I'll probably always have days that I really struggle to feel the love, but God will continue to humble me with positive examples of goodness... reminding me that there are a lot of good people out there that fortunately, are feeling the love.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear I can't imagine what kind of people you meet up with on a plane. I shall be very mindful next time I fly. I think I am a nice person, but next time I will smile a little more!!

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

There would be too many jockeying for the position of "Jerk of the Week" !
To even it our, you could have "Blessing of the Week"!

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

to even it OUT