Saturday, January 9, 2010

I love how honest kids are. They haven't yet learned how to disguise their true thoughts and feelings. In "The Divine Conspiracy" Dallas Willard writes that, "interestingly, 'growing up' is largely a matter of learning to hide our spirit behind our face, eyes, and language so that we can evade and manage others to achieve what we want and avoid what we fear. By constrast, the child's face is a constant epiphany because it doesn't yet know how to do this." It's no wonder that Jesus beseeches us to have "child-like faith", without fear or phoniness.

Sloan was only four years old the first time he met Brett. He knelt down beside him and started talking to him and making funny faces, and I had to gently tell him that Brett couldn't see him. He was visibly appalled, almost angry.


"That's not FAIR!"

I wasn't sure how to respond. To an adult I might say, "Yeah, well...life isn't fair, is it?" But to a child? That seemed a bit much.

"He doesn't see anything?" Sloan persisted.

I sadly shook my head.

"But that's not fair!" he said again, even more vehemently.


It amused me and oddly enough, I found his genuine indignation comforting... a refreshingly honest departure from the positive spin most adults feel obligated to give it. I've had plenty of people tell me what a "blessing" it is. A blessing? I confess I struggle not to be aggravated by that one. If you think it's such a blessing than why don't you pray for a child of your own with severe disabilities? But, like my mom always reminds me, they mean well. Of course they do. I know that. People don't know what to say, but children are free to call it as they see it.


Caitlin teaches fourth and fifth graders at a private school in the Washington D.C. area. One day she told her students all about Brett. I think she was somewhat taken aback by their strong reaction to the news. It was all so sad! How horrible that Miss Staples' little brother was born like that! Poor little Brett! Poor Miss Staples!


One of Caitlin's little girls came up to her desk a little later. She wanted to say something to make Miss Staples feel better about her little brother. She asked Caitlin if she knew about the verse in the Bible where Jesus said the "least on earth will be the greatest in Heaven?"

Caitlin nodded encouragingly.

And the little girl sweetly continued, "Because I think that means your little brother is going to be the greatest in Heaven."


Isn't that precious? I can't describe how touched I was by this story. God used that little girl to comfort and encourage me like nothing else ever has. I will forever cherish those particular words of Jesus. I will never read them again without remembering that little girl and thanking God for her and her precious insight. How awesome that God's truths are simple enough to be understood by a child and yet remain "alive and active" to comfort and instruct us through every season of our lives.

5 comments:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I am always amazed that the Lord can use anything to bring us much needed comfort. A small gesture, a sentence read, a stunning realization and a heartfelt comment from a child. He's a good God.

So glad that He revealed Himself to you in this way! Brett WILL be perfect on the other side.

Kristie Jackson said...

Love this. May we strive for childlike wonder, awe, faith, and belief. As you said, this is God's will for us!

Anonymous said...

Laurie, I was so elated to find that you have a blog. I think of you often after all I consider you partly responsible for my walk with Christ. I tell people all the time when they ask me "how did I become a Christian" and you are always in my story as the wife of my husbands work associate that was having health concerns but listened to me and directed me to BSF, an excellent place where I was able to learn, grow in Christ and love Him.
I am happy to hear that your daughter is a school teacher. Our daughter, Melissa, is also a school teacher, she teaches high school biology and math. Mike and I are blessed that both of our daughters are married to wonderful men and both daughters have responsible jobs as do their husbands. Glenn is a Marine an F-18 jet fighter pilot that has protected us twice in Iraq.
Again, I am happy to discover your blog and will be a dedicated reader. Love,

John said...

Hi Laurie,

What a gift the Lord has given you. Thanks for sharing this story about your children. My comment to you and your readers is that our children know God, or project God in such a wonderful way. They aren't tainted by this world. They are perfect in so many ways. The way they laugh, smile and see the world with such a open and honest heart. The gift of children is for us to see God in and through them and to hold on to our inner child. When I see Jesus in heaven, I'll be racing Brett to jump into the Lord's arms, thanking Him for His unbelievable Love. What a Blessing we have in our Children. Thank you God! And thank you Laurie for sharing your life experiences through this blog. May God be praised and you be Blessed from it all.

Your Brother in Christ, John Szews

nancy k said...

How wonderful that she is being taught the word of God by her parents,and that at such a tender age she is tenderly using God's word to comfort others.That particular verse has been on my mind an awful lot lately.