Saturday, November 28, 2009

I was given the opportunity to finally see Caitlin's beautiful little apartment and the school where she teaches. I'm always in awe of Caitlin. Always. How did she go from pretending to teach school to actually having real live students? Of course they love her... who wouldn't? I can tell she's a wonderful teacher and that she loves those kids with everything she has.

What a treat it was to attend their morning meeting, to hear God's word shared and marvel how much wisdom has soaked into those little minds. Even the littlest ones had answers that reflected real Bible knowledge. Wow.


Of course I got to spend time with my sister and her boys, too. I can never get enough of them. She had a bunch of her friends over for brunch. Five two-year olds and one three-year old were part of the entourage and Kristie had hired a babysitter to keep them occupied in her basement.

I was more tired than usual, not feeling up to socializing with people I don't know (isn't that terrible?). She needn't have hired the babysitter because I decided I'd like nothing more than to hang out with the kids. Perhaps because Brett is blind and doesn't really do anything, but I'm more fascinated than ever by children and their distinctly different personalities and interests. They are all so unique, so funny and adorable.

My little nephew Sam is one of the most beautiful little boys I've ever seen. His big brown eyes, perfectly chunky body and big wide smile would melt anybody. I can hardly keep myself from stroking his pudgy cheeks and kissing his sweet neck. Of course, you can only get away with so much of that before they start avoiding you like the plague. Sam seemed rather bored with the other boys and didn't interact much with them, just played contentedly with his cars.

The other boys dug in the toy box until they found things that could be used as weapons. There were numerous bouts but surprisingly no one got seriously hurt. The two little girls dug desperately in the toy box for something that would interest them and, lo and behold, one of them unearthed a baby doll. She was thrilled with her find and gently cradled her in her arms. Alas, there wasn't one for the other little girl and she eventually settled for pulling a little chair up close to watch and admire the "baby."

I marveled at how God made us so innately different...so evident in these precious little ones. I thoroughly enjoyed quietly observing and occasionally laughing out loud at their antics. I was almost sorry to see them all leave but looked forward to spending the last few hours with my sister before I had to head back home. Time with my sister is always wonderful, she's not only an insightful and fascinating conversationalist, but she laughs all the time...and it's delightfully contagious.

What made my little excursion to D.C. possible was that my friend Dawn offered to come and stay with Brett for me. She not only watched him, she cooked us up a fine dinner and even baked us a cake! I prayed specifically that Brett would be his usual content self and that she wouldn't have to change a messy diaper. Sadly, God didn't grant me either of those requests (the only disappointment in my near perfect day). I asked God to especially bless her because she is a busy, busy gal and yet she carved out these hours just for me. Dawn, I am so thankful for our friendship!

No comments: