Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I've decided I have a real problem with people telling me what to do. One of the commands that rankles me the most is being told to "smile!" I'm usually quite pleasant and welcoming when passengers are boarding, but occasionally my mind must wander and my smile (evidently) fades. Sadly, I always obey the command (on cue, like a trained dog) and immediately plaster a big, phony smile on my face that usually stays there for the duration of the boarding process.

The one who gave the command is oblivious to the fact that he is now jockeying for first place for my "jerk of the day" award. I amuse myself with my mental tallying of asinine comments and behavior. Some days I encounter quite a few contenders for the title.

It's interesting that there are times when I fully intend to do something but then when I'm told to do it, I'm suddenly determined not to do it. The pile of clothes in my closet may be getting higher and higher, but just when I decide to start hanging some of them up, Bob will tell me I need to start hanging them up, which only necessitates the pile getting twice as high before I'll attempt to dismantle it. What's up with that??

Isn't the first step to getting beyond an issue realizing that you have an issue to begin with? So I'm sure I'll eventually rise above this contrariness, but until then, please don't tell me to smile.

2 comments:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I have this same issue.

Honey loves to share the story of me telling him "you're not the boss of me!".

Contrariness, stubborness, sin? I don't know.

Kristie Jackson said...

I was often told to smile when I first started waiting tables at Steak and Ale all those years ago. It's a pretty insulting little command, and the instruction didn't help me to smile whatsoever. If there's one thing in the world that makes me want to frown, it's someone telling me to smile. It's almost like someone asking, "are you down?" Well, no, I wasn't, but I am now thank you. Just another reminder of how powerful words are. I love you--smiling or not.