Friday, February 13, 2009

Regret. I think that has to be one of the saddest words in the English language. Think of the devastating, life changing news that follow the words "we regret to inform you...." All of us, in one way or another have been on the receiving end of that kind of regret.


But what about personal regrets? Every time I hear the song "My Way" I think what a crock the words "regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention" are. Do you really think anyone has too few regrets to mention? The person who does life his way will certainly regret it when he meets his Maker. Like someone once said, you can't say, "Thy kingdom come" without first saying "my kingdom go." Everything not done God's way is, well, regretful. Everyone who doesn't love God with all his heart, mind and soul and love others as himself will regret it (Lk. 10:27), and since there's not one of us who has lived this out perfectly, we all have regrets.

Shortly before my dad died my mom mentioned that it hurt Dad's feelings when we called and only talked to her. I made a mental note to always talk to him, too. Two days before he died I had a lengthy conversation (most of them are) with my mom. As we were wrapping it up she made a point to ask if I'd like to talk to Dad. I was pressed for time and said I'd be sure talk to him next time. There would be no next time. How hideously regrettable.

My younger brother never forgot to call me on my birthday. On my 40th he called and left me a sweet message, teasing me about being "over the hill." He called me a second time and even though I looked and saw that it was him I decided I'd call him back when it was more "convenient." There would be no "convenient" time; I never got a chance to talk to him again. Regrets...I have too many to mention.


I read a quote recently that said, "We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons." The good news is that discipline is an option. We as Christians have been given the power (through the Holy Spirit) to live a life without regrets. When I was in Bible Study Fellowship, a former teaching leader (Sheila Nielson) suggested that we start every morning reminding ourselves that we are "dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 6:11).

Temptation will come but He has promised to provide a way of escape (1 Cor. 10:13). C.S. Lewis wrote: "A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is...a man who gives into temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in."

The truly wonderful news is that God does not want us to wallow in our regrets, he doesn't want us to carry around the weight of a"ton" of regrets. One of Satan's favorite strategies is to keep us feeling ashamed and worthless because of past wrong choices, and I am especially susceptable to this strategy. Thankfully, God doesn't work that way, He assures us "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 8:1), that He will remember our sins no more (Heb. 8:12). God promises to forgive us and never bring up our sin again (Ps. 103:12).

Satan will always point to our past because he knows it cannot be changed but Jesus points us to our future because it has yet to be written. I love Joseph Stowell's words, "A refreshing plunge into God's mercy awaits us on the other side of confessed sin." Someone else said that "though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." How refreshing!

3 comments:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I love that quote!
When I hear well known people say that they have no regrets, I always wonder how they can dupe themselves into believing such nonsense. There is not a person on this planet who does not have regrets.
Who doesn't have woulda, coulda, shoulda's?
I, for one, am THANKFUL that I serve the God of second chances!
As usual, GREAT stuff!

Caitlin said...

What encouraging words, Momma... literally granting me COURAGE. :) I especially like:

" 'Thy kingdom come' without first saying 'my kingdom go.' Everything not done God's way is, well, regretful. Everyone who doesn't love God with all his heart, mind and soul and love others as himself will regret it (Lk. 10:27), and since there's not one of us who has lived this out perfectly, we all have regrets."

I often wonder HOW such a life is lived. Thus falling into the pragmatic questions sometimes consumes my heart, mind, and soul. Thankfully an alternative is available through the Holy Spirit: discipline! What a muscle to be exercised.

Laurie said...

Sweet Caitlin,
Thanks for the encouragement!
HOW?
Minute by minute.
Mom